wwwyoutube.com/usermskents

Loading...

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Happy Birthday Dad!! He Lived the Civil Rights Movement

In 2002 my dad died the day before his 87th birthday which is today January 9th.  I believe his spirit is still alive. My dad was so humble even though he tried a case in the Supreme Court.  He worked for labor rights in Birmingham, Alabama during the 50's helping both Black and White.  I took my mom back to the place she raised her three children as toddlers in Birmingham.  We visited the Civil Rights Museum.  As we viewed the pictures of the Civil Rights Movement my mom told me stories of what it was like.

 I never realized my family was part of the movement in a small way.  I was just a year and half when we moved to Texas and my dad didn't really talk about it much.  I love my dad and I want to say to him Happy Birthday, I still love and remember you.  This is a picture of the home where we lived in Birmingham.  Homes are so much bigger now but it was plenty big for my mom and dad as they were raising their kids.

 In the picture he is on the left, sitting down ready to speak next.  He graduated from law school from the University of Oklahoma in Norman.  The same school where my son is a junior.  He is contemplating going to law school too.  I say carry on the tradition.  My dad's spirit will be with you.

No comments: