wwwyoutube.com/usermskents

Loading...

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

I Am Thankful For My Ninety Year Old Mom


I am thankful this holiday season for my mom who is turning ninety this December. Each Thanksgiving my husband and two sons go to Grandma's house for a bounty of food and for Christmas its my turn to cook. The arrangement has worked out well over the years. My mom knows how to prepare a wonderful Thanksgiving meal with moist turkey every time. Her dressing is made of homemade cornbread with just the right seasonings of sage and parsley. Carrots are sprinkled with brown sugar and butter. The mash potatoes are velvety smooth, never lumpy or gooey. Her secret to delicious gravy is first shaking the flour in a jar with water to remove any lumps.

What is so amazing is how she can still pull off a perfect dinner even as she has grown older gracefully. Her attitude in life has always been in service to others. My mom took care of her deaf Aunt Ada for several years because she didn't want her to be alone. Ada had lost a leg so my mom and dad had to lift her into a wheel chair. They took her on outings to get her our of the house for fresh air. She took care of Ada for many years without complaining.

My mom delivered Meals on Wheels for twenty years because she remembered how the organization helped her mom when she was house bound. My grandmother lived out of town and she visited her as much as she could but the meals delivered to her home was a life saver. She wanted to repay the favor so with her Methodist Church Group she helped deliver countless meals to elderly in need. Meals on Wheels awarded her with a pin that said twenty years of service.

It is a tradition to host the Christmas lunch for the Methodist Circle of ladies in her home. She is turning ninety and will continue to get out her best china, linen and Christmas decorations to decorate in honor of Jesus's birthday. The support of the women through the years got her through lonely times after my dad had passed.

Her faith in God has pulled her through the tough times. She was married to my dad for over fifty years so when he passed she had to learn how to sleep during the night alone. She recited the Lords Prayer as she drifted off to sleep.

The twenty third Psalms was another good passage to comfort.

"The Lord is my shepherd. I shall not want. In verdent pastures he gives me repose: Beside restful waters he leads me; he refreshes my soul. He guides me in right paths for his name's sake. Even though I walk in the dark valley I fear no evil; for you are at my side. With your rod and your staff that give me courage. You spread the table before me in the sight of my foes; You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Only goodness and kindness follow me all the days of my life; And I shall dwell in the house of the Lord for years to come."

When faith leads your life kindess follows all the days of your life. I think my mom is an example of this. I want to give thanks this holiday season for my mom.

No comments: