wwwyoutube.com/usermskents

Loading...

Friday, February 6, 2015

Momma Duck is Back But Daddy Duck is Missing


     Usually in  early February or March Momma and Daddy Duck come to our backyard pool to prepare a nest for their ducklings.  This year Momma Duck returned the first week in February but Daddy Duck was missing.  Yes there's a picture of a male duck but I know its not Daddy Duck.

    It brings back a memory in October when Momma Duck comes to our pool and honks loudly.  She is flapping her wings hysterically  but there is not a Daddy Duck.  I had a thought that she was mourning her partner for over twenty years.  He had a limp last summer and looked weak.  It was very unusual for ducks to be there in the fall and she only came for one day.  Momma came to the place where they raised their ducklings to mourn his loss.


     I think I had seen Momma Duck's new friend in a group of ducks.  As I gazed outside our window I ventured outside to get a closer look.  The male duck seemed a little startled but let me take pictures.  Momma Duck was use to me taking pictures and went right on swimming.  Her neck turned toward my direction as if to say hello.  Did Momma Duck tell him about the place where she raised her ducklings?  They glided through the water in rhythm together from one end of the pool to the other side.
     Their heads started moving back and forth and I knew it was a sign they were about to fly away.  Did Momma Duck want us to see her new friend?  I hope they come back.  I'll be looking for a new nest.

    Will the nest be in the same place below the angel statue hidden among the grasses?
I'm glad Momma Duck found a new companion.  She is less lonely now that she has someone to share a life with.  She'll always remember Daddy Duck.  I miss him and think she does too.

No comments: