wwwyoutube.com/usermskents

Loading...

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Teachers Pay Teachers 2015 Conference in Vegas

I just got back from a wonderful Teachers Pay Teachers Conference in Las Vegas.  It was a fantastic opportunity to connect with great teachers from across the country.  Each teacher had their own store of creativity.  It was fun seeing familiar faces with the store I had been purchasing from.  Over a thousand teachers came to collaborate with others.

A sign greeted us with a friendly, welcome.  They called us Teacher-Authors.  It felt good to be identified in that way.  Teachers do so much every day to meet their student's needs so sharing how to help students grow academically is a win win.

The first session was a meet and greet according to grade levels.  It was a chance to share ideas and meet other teachers.  
Everyone had a business card to share with one another.  It was a way for others to remember your store and visit it in the future.  

I met these teachers from Louisiana, and California. They were very sweet and eager to share information to help along the way.   Nita Marie's Classroom Creations has over 160 products.  She said her husband encouraged her to start using her talents on TPT.  

 The Kenney Korral Store said it's important to categorize clip art so it's easy to find when it's time to create your product.  
The first session I picked was The SuperPowers of Powerpoint.  The teachers were enthusiastic presenters who dressed in superhero outfits.  Most teachers had their laptops so they could follow along with the presentation.  


I use my own photographs for a lot of my products but many teachers are like artists when it comes to creating a page to explode learning ideas.  They choose a background and make layers of colorful displays.  As you can see it seemed easy for them to follow the teacher.
We took a break for lunch and went to the 5th floor to see vendors selling products for reading, math, social studies, and science.  I couldn't resist and purchased 50 percent off books for my second grade class.
I purchased some unique materials from Faceing Math enhancing math vocabulary.  
It was time to pick another session of learning.  There was so much to choose from, it was difficult to choose.  I decided to go to the session about blogging since its what I like to do. 
The panel gave many personal testimonials about their own blogging experience.  I remember a teacher said she blogs every Saturday because its a way to reflect about the week with students.  She seemed like a natural writer who needs to write as a way of expression.  Blogging is a way to market your store but it's also something fun to do.  

After a busy day of networking it was time to do something fun with my husband.  Now I know why there are so many conferences in Las Vegas, there's so much to do in the evening.
Just walking around the Venetian was a treat in itself.  It was so much like Italy I felt I was in Rome.  
We met this lovely couple who just got married.  They said I could take a pic so I captured their special moment of just starting the journey of partnership.  In Las Vegas there's a new story at each corner.
The stores are incredible to shop in.  This store sold glass items as a work of art.  
This statue from a store reminded me of my students and how I want them to be free to discover their  talents.
We dined at Table Ten, Emeril's restaurant with famous signature dishes.
I had the most delicious crab cakes I've ever had in my life.  The delicious crab meat was cooked to perfection.

After dinner we walked again to see life in action.

The next day it was a little harder getting up but I was eager to learn new things.  I went to the session about learning to draw digitally like a master.  I was interested to see what teachers could do and I wasn't  disappointed.
Many teachers design their own clip art to sell.  It takes layers of each stroke to design one picture.  
After the session teachers came up to ask questions.  It was a way to collaborate and share information.  
The next session was learning about instagram.  I am very new at this but I understand it's becoming like a new facebook.  It's going to take a while to get the  hand of it but at least I learned how to use a hashtag and shared some pictures.  I just prefer using a camera than a phone to take photographs. 


The session about taxes and copyright was very interesting.  The discussion became lively when people started giving personal experiences.  Teachers Pay Teachers is a community that wants to treat each other with respect.  If you  help someone else you help the community.  What a great spirit of collaboration.
To finish our Las Vegas experience we watched the Rat Pack.  They were a great way to end our trip.  They sang their hearts out and gave us a free CD so we can dance to  the tunes at home.  Las Vegas is a magical place to attend a convention.  I hope to go next year.

No comments: