Deep Ellum began in the late 1800's as a neighborhood on the east side of downtown Dallas. The area has gone through changes that corresponds with the history of Dallas.
The name "Deep Ellum," was originally called ,"Deep Elm" because its located by Elm Street and the pronunciation led to its current name.
Henry Ford selected Deep Ellum as the site for one of the first automobile plants in 1914. It created many jobs so people built homes close to the plant.
It has one of the largest selection of commercial storefronts from the early 20th century.
42 Murals Project is devoted to promote art in Deep Ellum through the production of 42 murals. Artists competed for the honor to display their artistic expression on the canvas of a brick wall filled with history. It keeps with the spirit of the community that wants to keep the integrity of the area intact.