wwwyoutube.com/usermskents

Loading...

Saturday, February 18, 2017

Sue Hon Palmer's Legacy

Sue Hon Palmer's Legacy

Sue Hon Palmer, my precious mom,  went to be with Jesus on Valentine's Day, February 14, 2017.


Since her life was filled with love for others it was the perfect ending to her journey on earth.  Her celebration of life was in the Chapel of Chimes in Laurel Land Fort Worth on February 17th. 2017


The chimes were ringing rejoice, rejoice her body is with Jesus.  She was baptized in a river in Oklahoma after a revival in her church.  She remembered people in the congregation standing up to confess their sins.  She said one couple was having an affair in the church and they stood up and asked their spouses for forgiveness.

My dad had passed in 2002 and it was a difficult time for her. Sue was lonely because she was use to having Sanford next to her each night.  He passed in his sleep in the bed next to Sue after taking care of her husband  for seven years  He had a stroke at the age of eighty and was unable to speak.  Luckily he could still move around.  She took him shopping and he loved just getting out of the house.  He came over to family celebrations and she was always asking him,  "Are you alright, Sanford?" He nodded his head yes since it was difficult to speak.   She had a gold plated plaque she held by her bed of the 23rd Psalm to give her comfort.  The house she had shared with Sanford since 1956 was empty.  She told me she repeated the Psalm over and over so she could sleep.

Pastor Beth Evers of University United Methodist Church gave a wonderful tribute to my mom.  She had attended the church since moving to Fort Worth in 1957.  The 23rd Psalm was spoken.......

23rd Psalm Amplified Bible

The Lord is my Shepherd, to feed, to guide and to shield me,
I shall not want.

He lets me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still and quiet waters.



He refreshes and restores my soul, life.
He leads me in the paths of righteousness
for His name;s sake.



Even though I walk through the (sunless) valley of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil, for you are with me;
Your rod (to protect) and Your staff (to guide), they comfort and console me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
You have anointed and refreshed my head with oil
My cup overflows.

Surely goodness and mercy and unfailying love shall follow me all the days of my life.
And I shall dwell forever (throughout all my days) in the house and in the presence of the Lord.

In ancient times it was customary in hot climates for a host to provide his guest with olive oil to put on his head.  The Lord blesses and anoints His believers with the Holy Spirit, whom oil symbolizes, to prepare them for His service.



Sue Hon Palmer lived a life of service to others.
She delivered meals to elderly for over  twenty years through an organization called Meals on Wheels.  Sometimes she asked my brother Max to help her drive because in the later years she needed help to find the homes.  She took care of her deaf Aunt who lost her legs to poor circulation in old age.

She was a devoted grandmother to my two sons Alex and Michael.  They have fond memories of her baking sugar cookies or making strawberry milkshakes.


Alex loved her cheesy eggs cooked just right.  Michael loved the macaroni and cheese which melted in your mouth.  Growing up my mother prepared dinners served at 5:30 after my dad arrived from work.  We all sat around the table to talk about the day.  She had a schedule of meals she served and shopped stores for the best deals so her food bill was low.  I remember fried chicken, lasagna, chicken fried steak, fried liver and onions on Friday to keep us healthy, creamy mash potatoes, fried okra, meatloaf with a hunk of cheese inside for flavor, and chicken divine casserole.  Not only did she serve elaborate meals she always had an Italian Cream Cake, Chocolate Sheath Cake, Peach Pie with flacky crust or Banana Bread hid under a crystal glass case so they stayed moist and delicious.



Pink flowers adorned her casket.  A photograph of my mom and dad were displayed on a wooden easel.  They were married in 1949 and had a union of marriage for fifty three years.  They enjoyed traveling together in their airstream silver trailor in their retirement.  They were so proud of the trailer since it was an upgrade from the Nimrod Tent Trailer.  The  toilet paper holder was hidden in the frame for elegance.  They met many retirees in the Valley of Texas who also wanted an adventure.  People came out in the evening to share stories in their plastic lawn chairs.


I remember my mom picking out the gold casket for dad and herself.  They will be buried side by side with joining tombstone.




She is wearing her red dress Jack gave her after dad passed.  The red dress was special because they went to the store and picked it our like high school sweethearts.  He was the first person she had danced with in Putman High School.  They reunited because of her beloved Cousin Clara Mae asked Jack at a reunion.

"Do you remember Sue Hon,"

He answered, "I not only remember her, I remember Sue real well."
They took trips to WWII reunions to San Diego and Charleston.  He wrote her love letters with a hand written song.  Her favorite was Sentimental Journey.


 We let go pink balloons because it was her favorite color.  It was symbolic of letting go of her life to be with Jesus for an eternity.  As I saw the balloons floating in the air I felt my Spirits lifted to know her pain and suffering was gone.

I'm free at last.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this. Beautiful life and family. Sorry of your loss but a wonderful tribute.