wwwyoutube.com/usermskents

Loading...

Monday, March 6, 2017

The Tradition of Giving Flowers

My mom went to be in heaven recently.   I so appreciated all of the beautiful flowers given in her honor.  I wondered when the tradition started.  No custom helps in communicating human emotions than a bouquet of flowers.   The Lily is the flower most commonly used for funeral services because they symbolize the innocence that has been restored to the soul of the departed.  The white lily expresses majesty and purity.


Archaeologists have found proof that this custom of giving flowers  dates back in ancient times.  Flowers have been discovered in ancient ruins from Rome,
Egypt, Greece and China.  Legends and folklore also reflect the custom.
The tradition of giving flowers passed on to the Middle Ages.  Turkey decided to give meaning to different flowers and was passed on to France and England.  Pink flowers signify love, grace, appreciation and gentility.   Pink was my mom's favorite color.

The Victorians didn't express their feelings openly, so giving flowers was a way to communicate feelings without a lot of words.
Red roses convey respect, love, and courage.
A single rose expresses enduring love for the deceased.
Tulips and daffodils are a symbol of renewal and fresh starts.  They are believed to bring encouragment and hope to a person who is grieving or unhappy.  

Purple tulips represent royalty.
In 1014 C. Austin Miles wrote the famous funeral hymn "In the Garden."
I come to the garden alone, while the dew is still on the roses.
An He walks with me and he talks with me
An he tells me I am his own.....
Flowers are a visual expression of love, sympathy, and respect.  

Since my mom loved pink I decided to plant pink geraniums.  They are native to southern Africa, but some species originated in New Zealand, Australia, and the Middle East.  The leaves release a lemon or citronella scent which repels mosquitoes.  




I  wanted it to look like spring so I planted pink flowers all over the patio.  My sons put together the fountain for a  peaceful sound.  


No comments: